Who We Are
The NY-GEO-2018 Top Job Contestants
New York Geothermal Energy Organization (NY-GEO), a not-for-profit trade association representing the geothermal heat pump (GHP) industry in New York State, is dedicated to promoting geothermal heating and cooling. Our 70 founding members include geothermal system designers, installers, drillers, general contractors, engineers, manufacturers, distributors, renewable energy consultants and industry stakeholders who are interested in promoting the use of ground-source heat pumps to heat and cool buildings throughout New York State.
Meet our Interim Board of Directors.
There is no doubt that geothermal heat pumps (GHPs)* represent a heating and cooling technology that is essential for us to meet the challenges of the 21st Century. The following benefits clearly make the initial capital costs an investment in the future of our local and global communities:
- The earth itself is our solar collector
- The earth itself is our energy storage system
- GHP Systems harvest renewable energy 24/7 with no need for a backup system
- GHP Systems work to improve utility load factors while reducing peak demand
- GHP Systems utilize local labor to strengthen the local economy
- GHP Systems reduce our dependence on fossil fuels reducing our carbon footprint
- GHP Systems reduce the home energy budget
- GHP Systems are extremely scalable, from low income housing to community loops serving multiple buildings on college campuses (such as the Skidmore Energy Node Project)
- Channels natural gas away from home heating towards solving other challenging energy markets, such as industrial needs
We have made significant progress to create a state-wide organization focused on raising the visibility and understanding of the geothermal heat pump technology (GHP). As stakeholders, we're sure you will agree that the process of gaining an understanding of all the features and benefits associated with ghp results in a genuine excitement about the technology.
We appreciate your support and encourage you to return often to our web site as we will be going through many changes as the organization gains momentum in the marketplace. Please feel free to contact us for any reason regarding geothermal heat pumps.
View the NYSERDA video below to see how a geothermal heating and cooling system works.
* Also known as "ground source heat pumps," "geo-exchange systems" or "low temperature geothermal."